by Dr. Dale V. Atkins, March 2005
Some people look forward to the whole intergenerational clan experience as a great opportunity for everyone to get to know each other in a relaxed and easy manner and others think that those two words, "family" and "vacation" cannot coexist in the same sentence.
Here are some Sanity Savers to keep in mind on your next family adventure:
• Everyone needs time alone to recharge. That long solo sunrise walk along the beach is worth getting up for.
• Pair people in the family who have similar interests so they can have private time together.
• Use the opportunity to stay connected to your mate. Sometimes it is difficult to demonstrate your loyalty when you feel torn between your parents, siblings and your spouse. Take time to be together, alone.
• For meals and other group outings, decide beforehand what is being paid for and by whom.
• Share caregiving of the children. Decide how responsibilities will be divided.
• Plan ahead as best you can. Discover what is available at the place you are going (activities, proximity to religious institutions, parks, restaurants, etc.)
• And for fun and a sense of camaraderie, offer everyone a TEE shirt or hat with the family name. You can also designate one person as the family trip chronologer/photographer.
Copyright - Disclaimer - Limitation Of Liability
DrDaleAtkins.com © 2001-2015 All Rights Reserved
Sanity Savers is a trademark of Dr. Dale Atkins
Digital ... with a human(e) touch